Saturday, April 3, 2010

SEN. BENNETT, "MY POSITIONS HAVE BEEN MISCHARACTERIZED......

Good Morning!  Yesterday Beverly had a question from someone who is reading this blog..."what is it, exactly, that Bob is looking for in a candidate?"...so I will answer that next time...but before we head out to the annual Art Festival I wanted to post a summary of a letter by Sen Bennett that arrived yesterday.

 "Entitlement spending impacts more that the budget.  Our national security is at stake.  I've dedicated the majority of my time in the U.S. Senate to studying these issues to find the right kinds of solutions.  Every year for the last several years, I've introduced legislation to both fix and save social security...This is why I am running for another term in the Senate...I want to be at the forefront of the fight.  It is not lost on me that three terms in the U.S. Senate is a long time.  I realize that there is a younger generation waiting in the wings.  I did not run for the Senate until I had conculded a successful business career.  I'm glad I waited, because my life experience gave me a breadth of knowledge and a depth of understanding about the real challenges facing the average citizen that many of my colleagues lack.  In this fiscal year alone, I have voted in opposition to over two trillion dollars in new spending, including:

     against $350 billion in additioal TARP funding
        "        President Obama's $787 billion stimulus
        "        the $408 billion FY2009 Omnibus
        "        the $446 billion FY2010 Omnibus
        "        $85 billion in auto bailouts.

Some have said that I don't believe in the Constitution.  In fact, I have been a student of Hamilton, Adams, Madison, Marshall and Jefferson for my entire life...the principles are at the core of my political philosophy....I have learned to be wary of those who use the Constitution as a campaign prop, by claiming to be the sole keepers of the constitutional flame.

The issue before you and the other delegates is this:  who of the individuals who have presented themselves as candidates is best prepared to serve in the tumultuous decade ahead of us, to finally begin to rein in unbridled mandated government spending?

My positions have been mischaracterized and misrepresented on any number of issues, including health care.  There are differences between my opponents and me.  Tim Bridgewater was a paid operative for John McCain's presidential campaign, while I was supporting Mitt Romney.  Mike Lee advocates a "cut and run" policy in Afghanistan, and says we should bring home all the troops in the Middle East. 

.....I also hope to visit with you in person.  I recognize that it is an honor, not a right, to serve and I take my responsibilities very seriously.".

So there you have it...more info...hope you find it interesting.  Now out the door with my "bride" to stroll the Art Festival.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment